Ducati 1199 Panigale: Lust at First Sight

I've read more articles about Ducati's new Panigale Superbike than I can count, or even care to remember.

I've studied the engine.  Memorized the specs.  Posted multiple blogs about its greatness. Plastered photos on every device I own as wallpaper.

Only one small problem. I had never actually seen the Panigale.  Well, other than in photos, which doesn't count.

So, when I discovered that the International Motorcycle Show was traveling to Washington D.C. over the weekend, and that Ducati would be there, there was no way I was missing the event on the chance that they'd be bringing the 1199 Panigale with them.

And they did.  Front, center; it was the first bike I saw when I walked into the room.

Lust at first sight:







The bike is beautiful.  Pictures do not come close to doing it justice. Diminutive, sleek, sex on wheels.

There isn't a corner, angle, or detail that has been overlooked or appears out of place.  It is moto perfection.

The MV Agusta F3 was 15-yards away and it looked dowdy in comparison.

Dowdy.  But only when compared to the 1199 Panigale.  This bike is still hot!

Again.  Sick exhaust styling.  Except for... the Panigale.

I'd still be happy if this were in my imaginary garage.











Before the Panigale, I never thought I'd use MV Agusta and dowdy in the same sentence. Well, unless I was describing how the F4, and now the F3, renders all the other bikes.





It was the same with the EBR 1190RS.  Another of my favorite motorcycles.

No way was I passing on a chance to sit on an EBR 1190RS.  Who says Americans can't produce sportbikes?

BMWs  red/black/white S1000RR?  Suzuki's newly revamped GSX-R750?  The KTM RC8R?  So what?

The new livery is a serious head-turner.  Looks very good.


I was watching my moto icons fall one by one, and I didn't care, because the Panigale was just that stunning.

Not to say that I didn't wander around to admire the other bikes. In between stops at Ducati.

There were some great motorcycles on display, including ones I had wanted to see like the F3, Triumph Tiger Explorer, Norton's modern-day Commando, and Moto Guzzi's V7 Racer.






Toss in a few vintage motos and a race bike or two, and I was a very happy camper.














But I kept going back to that Ducati 1199.

It is Ducati's Universe now and the Panigale reigns King.


Blog Archive