No Compromising on Adventure

No one bike does everything well. But some do a better job at everything than others.

High performance sportbikes are probably the lousiest at everything but for that one, all important (if you're a sportbike rider) thing: go fast; lean hard.

The priority, of course.

Except sometimes you want to ride somewhere that may not only not require going fast or leaning hard.  Mostly because it would be seriously detrimental to your goal of completing the ride.  Ideally, tire-side down and in one piece.

But, if you're a sportbike rider, you're taking your "go fast; lean hard" moto down that path anyway.

Its true.

And I should know.  I am one of those sportbike riders; I've have a drawer of bike pieces to prove it.

I've traveled cross-country on a Ducati 848Evo, rode dirt on a Gixxer600, and my idea of a touring bike is my 1995 CBR900RR.  Because it takes bags.  Unlike the Duc.

Adventure is not usually the word I've used when trying this...

I've also had to turn back when muddy trails became too steep and creeks too deep; contrary to what my beleaguered parents may believe, even I am not wholly crazy.  But I can still recall each road not taken, trail missed, and adventure to which I was forced to turn my back.

What is a sportbike girl to do?

I've entertained buying the new Triumph Tiger 675.  Its fun to ride, with lots of pull and good top end power. The Ducati Monster is my favorite not-a-sportbike and not half bad in the snow.  But neither bike elicits quite the same visceral joy as "go fast; lean hard" performance sportbikes.

Sportbike riders everywhere seemed destined to ride extra miles in search of a way across that muddy creek...

Until German custom bike builder shop, Wunderlich, and German tire manufacturer, Continental, discovered knobbies can be made to fit on superbikes.  Specifically the BMW S1000RR.

Pull some faring.  Paint it black.  Toss on the knobbies.  Add a "Du bist so gut wie tot" sticker **.

Congratulations, Dr Frankenstein, its an... Adventure Sportbike!


Or Motorcycle for the Apocalypse?

I can't decide if I'm in love or horrified.  Either way, I think I need one.

Cheers!



** Translation:  You are as good as dead.

For the original HFL article: click HERE.

Blog Archive