Aldo Drudi Who? (Part 1)

"He has some odd Italian name."  Chris Jones, our Ducati North America rep was saying over the phone.  "Altoids... Alto... Aldo!  That's it.  Aldo Drudi."

Now I am paying attention.

Chris had called about a "visitor" from Italy, who was coming into south Florida for a week-long vacation with his girlfriend and Ducati wanted Ducati Forza to lend them a Multistrada 1200 for the week.  Chris thought the guy might be from Ducati's apparel design department.  Didn't know anything else about the guy.

I was only half-paying attention.  It was pretty run-of-the-mill stuff.  We would prep the demo and hand it over.  No big deal.

Except it was a big deal.  An Aldo Drudi-sized big deal.  Chris suddenly had my full attention.

"Chris, stop talking."  He was still going on about how Ducati had dropped this request out of nowhere right during New Years.   "Aldo Drudi?  Are you certain that's the guy's name?"

"Yeah.  I mean, who could make up a name like that?"

If it was possible to reach through the phone and physically shake him, I would have.  "Chris, do something for me.  Hang up.  Google the name.  Call me back."

It took less than two minutes for the phone to ring again.

Aldo Drudi.  Designer to the greatest motorcycle racers, past and present, in the world.  Close friend of Valentino Rossi.  The man who would be creating the designs that would grace Valentino Rossi's Ducati Desmosedici, his helmet, and his racing leathers.

After hanging up with Chris, who was appropriately impressed (finally) with our guest's credentials, I went to the back service area.  Don't think I've jumped around with excitement like that since I was twelve.

Aldo Drudi!  Here!  At Ducati Forza! 

George

Blog Archive