An American Superbike: The EBR 1190RS

I've lamented my compatriots' abject failure in the realm of high performance sportbikes, assuming failure is the correct way to describe not even trying.

I've cursed Harley Davidson for killing Buell.

I'd given up hope and faith that someday an American company would not only build a quality sportbike, but stay in business while doing so.

I'd tossed aside the notion that sometimes the impossible is possible.

And I stand corrected.  An American motorcycle company is capable of producing a sportbike; a leave-the-competition-like-it-is-painted-on-the-track sportbike.

I know, this is the European Motorcycle Diaries blog.  Emphasis on European.  But sometimes you have to give props where its due.

Sometimes the news coming out of the motorcycle universe is so shocking, it demands to be reported.

And sometimes the impossible is possible.

As in, you can now utter the words "American" and "Sportbike" in the same sentence and not laugh, shake your head in disbelief, or cry in frustration.

Its true!  (Click Here to read Cycle World's test ride review)

Ultra-light at 397lbs with the fuel tank topped off, 175-ponies strong, and faster out of the crate than a race bike, Erik Buell's new sport bike is a Superbike in the purest sense of the word.

The $40,000 EBR 1190RS
Now he just needs to build one I can afford.

Cheers!

Blog Archive