Something New; Something Old; Honda RC-E

I'll be honest.  I'm a good Detroit girl.  When you grow up in the Motor City, its all about big, powerful, combustible engines with a deep, pulsating exhaust note.  Gas-guzzling music to the ears.  There is just something about it.  If you're from Detroit, the song of a fine-tuned engine makes you smile.

Which is why I am not sold on the electric cars.  The Prius is going to be the death of me.  You can't hear 'em.  I stepped right in front of one the other day.  It was two feet behind me and I couldn't hear it.  What kind of car is that?  Half the fun of accelerating is hearing the engine rev itself up in anticipation of going fast.  And faster.

And isn't this why most of us ride motorcycles?  Power and speed.  And without the accompanying proper exhaust soundtrack, the experience is sort of like watching a horror flick on mute.  Just not quite the same thing.

Which is why I've not been sold on electric motorcycles either.  Until Honda gave us the RC-E:



Racing Cycle-Electric. 

Actually, I have no idea if this is what RC-E stands for, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Wrapped in updated, yet still recognizably old school, bodywork, the RC-E houses a decidedly new school electric engine.  While still a prototype, the 250cc racer is already outfitted with track-necessities such as Ohilns rear shock and inverted forks with radial-mount Brembo calipers and superbike-sized rotors.

The Honda RC-E electric motorcycle will be unveiled at the 42nd Annual Tokyo Motorcycle Show as a Next-Generation Electromotive Concept Model.  Hopefully it will be unveiled in dealers showrooms and on the race track is short order.

With a downloadable soundtrack of an engine sound fitting for a retro racer of the future.

For the original article from Motorcycle-USA, click: HERE

Blog Archive